- About Us
- My Profile
Update 7/15/2011: This position is now filled. If you are interested in receiving notification of future job opportunities at i.c.stars click here: Subscribe to future job openings notifications
The i.c.stars Social Enterprise Program Manager is responsible for leading the i.c.stars social enterprise, a division within our organization that hires i.c.stars program participants who have finished their internship and are now entering a paid ‘residency’ where they will do social media and web development for small businesses and corporate clients. It is an exciting opportunity to grow a business within i.c.stars that has the potential to create jobs for over 100 low income, resilient adults who participate in our program.
At i.c.stars we provide a rigorous technology-based workforce development and leadership training program for low-income adults, developing Chicagoland’s most promising information technology talent with leadership goals and connecting them with career opportunities through our social enterprise and our partner organizations.
Our social mission is central to our work. Our primary goal as a social enterprise is to further our mission and the profits earned through our business model support our training program. Working with low-income young adults, providing them with employment opportunities and preparing them for community-based advocacy allows us to achieve our social purpose. Because the social enterprise division income is derived through pursuing our mission, the IRS considers this “mission-aligned” income, and does not jeopardize our tax-exempt status.
Detailed job description:
The i.c.stars Program Manager is responsible for leading the i.c.stars social enterprise, an earned income division within our organization that hires i.c.stars program participants who have finished their internship and are now entering a paid ‘residency’ where they will do social media and web development for small businesses and corporate clients (see this page for further explanation of the stages of i.c.stars]. It is an exciting opportunity to grow a business within i.c.stars that is the primary strategic focus to place the the i.c.stars’ target population in the stream of market demand and to differentiate our organization from other youth and workforce development programs.
Primary Initial Responsibilities:
- Manage a team of 3 social media specialists growing to 10+ in the next 6 months
- Work with Sales Function to support the lead-to-close process
- Develop the operating plan for the next phase of the business expansion, focusing on customer satisfaction, onboarding new staff (residents), and standard operating procedures and controls.
- Profit and loss responsibility for the division
- Work with a team from Accenture to document all “as-is” business processes, identify pain areas and recommendations
- Teach several workshops to the active i.c.stars interns
Strategic Longer Term Responsibilities
- Develop channel partnerships and other strategies to grow the client base to support a $2-3M/year business over the next 3 years.
- Hire (or promote) Team Leaders to take over the specialist management responsibilities as the business grows
- Develop the operations for the social enterprise focusing on optimizing financial metrics, customer satisfaction, internal business processes, and employee (participant) growth and development
- Continuously refine the business plan/financial model with lessons learned from actual operations
- Develop replication plan for a partner to duplicate the model in another geographic region
- Minimum of undergraduate degree
- Minimum of 2 years of related experience preferably in consulting and/or project management
- Knowledge of business & management principles related to operations planning, resource allocation, leadership techniques, and coordination of people and resources.
- Superior organizational skills and techniques and dedication to detail, with experience managing multiple deadlines and complex assignments
- Experience developing and managing processes for facilitating customer needs assessments, setting and meeting quality standards, and evaluating customer satisfaction
- Experience supervising a team of young, entry-level professionals
- Passion for working under pressure in a fast-paced environment, independently and collaboratively in a professional manner
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Willingness to take initiative and do what is necessary to complete the job
- Demonstrable proficiency in analyzing, summarizing, and presenting information
- Passion for social impact and commitment to the bigger picture mission of i.c.stars
- Experience in technology/social media a plus
The work context is representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The majority of the work will be done in an office environment
- The job may require some traveling in the Chicago area to conduct presentations
- The position requires a 40-60 hour/week commitment
ORGANIZATION CULTURAL CONSIDERATIONS
i.c.stars|* emphasizes creating opportunities for others. This position interacts with others who depend on its incumbent for supportive guidance. It is the responsibility of the individual in this position to spread the infectious enthusiasm for the mission and vision of the organization to the community at large. It is essential that the job incumbent be goal oriented; Achieving the organization’s strategic plan requires the incumbent to establish goals for team members professional development, marketing and client service delivery and persistently work to achieve those goals. The organization operates in a fast paced environment, so the ability to be flexible is crucial. The individual in this position will greatly enjoy the work and dedication required to create the Community Leaders of tomorrow.
- Don't miss #cxodisrupt16 on 6/15 at @GoogleChicago w/ @McDonaldsCorp & @JLL #tech #marketing https://t.co/vzn754XHNU via @icstarsChicago — 58 min 10 sec ago
- .@AnnaFrazzetto to share #hnkpmgciosurvey results re: C-suite & IT/mktg transformation. CxO Disrupt: https://t.co/Fg86G9xmAk @icstarsChicago — 3 hours 23 min ago